Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Roger flies the coop

Roger went home today. Actually, Roger and Sharon brought the boys down to surprise me as it was Gunnar's 12th birthday (that deserves it's own post). Once again, it refueled me to see those two, to hold them in my arms.

Especially because today was a wound vac change day. Roger stuck around to be with me through that. The nurses told him he should be a nurse or surgeon, as he anticipates even the things they need. I was extremely on edge today about the vac change because they had to remove my pic line (the line through which they give me IV meds), as they were trying to prevent any possible source of reinfection, which is good. However, I had to make the decision before the procedure whether I wanted them to dig around trying to install a new IV line just in case I couldn't make it through, or just leave it be and go into it all with only oral meds. I chose not to reinstall the IV and my nurses and Roger are rock stars that got me through it all with only oral meds and minimal pain. This is huge and wonderful for my recovery. Plus, my wound is looking fabulous, lots of granulation, lots of shrinkage. So many reasons to celebrate today.

Except that my honey left. Notice the hour I am writing this and that I cannot sleep.

Don't get me wrong. It actually brings me great comfort to know that he has gathered all our babies up and will be in our Orcas house tomorrow night. Boppa and Grandma Sha took the boys back to Friday Harbor after their visit. Roger waited with me after the wound vac for my Uncle Wolfie and Aunt Luz to bring Ada to us. She finally arrived and my heart was beating so fast when I saw her. I cannot explain the elation that floods through me when I get to hold that little girl. I laughed, too, because Uncle Wolfie likes to spike her little crazy mane of hair so she looks like a rocker. When it came time for Roger to take Ada to Friday Harbor, Wolfie said he held back tears, and Luz said it would be so sad to go back home without Ada there. I am so blessed that she was in their care. I think they will remain uniquely special people in Ada's life for a long time to come.

Back to Roger's departure. I am okay. I have had some time today to reflect on these past three weeks in the hospital with him. This may sound very strange, but I feel so lucky in many ways for this time with Roger, for the ways in which we connected. All the unimportant things in our life just fell away. What was left was his active love. His loyalty. His eyes locked on mine in the middle of what seemed like impending doom and catastrophe. His hands holding mine, keeping me grounded. Keeping me safe. He has seen me at my very worst, in the most undignified of positions, and still he looks at me with love in his eyes. There is no "date night", no carefully planned romantic interlude that can reproduce the intense feelings of love that have bonded us together so closely during these past weeks. To use only a few cliches, Roger is truly my rock, my hero. He will tell you himself he is not an overly patient person, but he mustered all the patience he could find and gave that to me, sat here in this boring hospital, day after day. For nearly a week he had only lineman boots to wear!

And tomorrow, he will take care of our babes in our home. I have loved watching him with them. He is having to take over so much of the care that I normally do for them, especially with Ada, and I believe this is another gift to come of this awfulness. During wound care, I compulsively spat out reminders for being Mr. Mom--"make sure Finn brushes teeth in the morning too" or "make sure you burp Ada in the middle of her feeding". But the truth is, he doesn't need my incessant reminders. He shines in a crisis, and he always has. My children are so lucky to have him as a father, and I am speechless when I think of how lucky they are to see the the way their daddy treats their mommy. I think of the beginning of this mess, when everything was in question, and no one could tell us whether I would even be okay. This was horrific, and though he tried to be strong, I could tell Roger was terrified. There was a time when he couldn't hold it in, and he took one look at me and took hold of me as he burst into huge shudders of tears. This is what it is to be loved. Thank you, God for this most amazing man. I would not be here, on my way to rapid healing, without him.

That said, I miss him. A lot! I keep looking for that curled up ball of a man on the little chair next to my bed. Hopefully he is cuddled up with baby Ada, or Finn. Hopefully rest will come to him. He definitely needs it. So, if you happen to see Mr. Roger A. Sandwith (not Roger B.--the big one) please tell him his wife is in awe of him, and give him a hug. Don't worry, I won't make you give his cute buns a squeeze! Sorry--TMI.

Hope all of you are well, that you have someone you love to snuggle up with on these dark rainy nights. See you soon.

xoxo
Marls

9 comments:

  1. Yet another amazing, emotional, beautifully written, and wonderful post lady. You are strong enough for us all. Anna and I send our very best to you guys.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. God brings us gifts in the most unexpected ways. What a gift Roger is to you and your children. Love to you, Marlis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Marlis, you have let the cat out of the bag, a long kept secret of the true nature of our loving, compassionate Sandwith men in our lives!
    Altho we have not had a journey similar to yours, we have had many of life's struggles endured together ~ now I can honestly say that tears were shed at my end reading your beautiful blog!
    I look forward to seeing you this week!
    Love to you each moment, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlis, what a beautiful post. You and Roger are so blessed to have such an amazing connection. I am so proud of you for making it through your procedure with no IV meds. It must feel so great to be one step closer to going home and being with that sweet family of yours. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marlis - This is an absolutely beautiful expression of the love you share with Roger. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful man to watch over you and your family - and to realize it. So many of us never take or make the opportunity to express such love. You have given me all the more reason to hug and hold my own - just because. Thank you.
    Continue your marvelous road to recovery - you will be home with you family soon and will be able to hold and cherish each one whenever you wish. Keep that thought in mind as you progress through each day. Each day you are a day closer to that goal. But for the time being, you know that Roger's love for you is strong enough to hold you, even though you are separated by miles and water. He is always with you in love, holding your hand. You are truly blessed.
    Warm wishes to you, my dear.
    Cele

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is now a beautiful love story. From the horrible to the amazing mother and wife.... to Love. I am in total amazement and how strong, ugly, sad, heartwrenching, love and how beautiful this event has been for your whole family. Thank you for sharing. It really does bring tears to ones eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cry at all your postings but this one took the whole box of kleenexes! What a great glimmer of light through this dark tunnel you're traveling. The Lord has blessed you with a wonderful husband and wonderful children, he just used a crazy difficult challenge like this to let them all shine through so brightly. Cherish these treasures. You are an amazing woman and deserve all these blessings! You will be home soon and the bad memories will go away and the good memories will strengthen you forever. Hang in there. Hopefully you can sleep some, resting in peace knowing your family is working it's way to being back together. May the Lord hold you all close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for that Marlis we love you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Marlis
    You are so amazing and so glad you have such an amazing husband! I know the time I was in the hospital after having Tru I thought it was going to break us (yes you really find out what love is). I can't believe how you all doing this it so extreme I can't imagine and don't know how to express in words how it must be for you and how amazing you are. Glad to hear you've seen your little lumps of sugar and it sounds like your really improving and healing up great! It must feel like you are able to breath again after seeing your babes and coming out on the other side of the tunnel. I feel for you and we love your guys so much you're so brave! Thanks for writing this blog that takes a lot of courage to express all that you are experiencing and you've done it so well even all drug-ed up I can't imagine what I'd sound like. You are truly a strong beautiful and graceful woman inside and out. You Rock!!!! xxxxxoooooooAmber

    ReplyDelete