Sunday, January 16, 2011

Play days and wound vacs...

A lot happened today. Lauren and her Mom came to visit bearing delicious french baked goods, a bouquet of tulips and homemade quiche lorraine, made by Michael, no less. I felt very spoiled.

My parents brought Gunnar and Finn down to have a play day with their Dad...much needed by all. Roger took them to the zoo, then out to see Miss Ada at my aunt and uncle's house. Then it was back to the city to go to Gameworks for pizza and games. Needless to say, it was a full day for them. It was so good to see them, I can't even tell you. They look so different every time.

I worry about them a lot, how this is affecting them, whether we're handling it all the right way. Mostly when they're here, I just want to breath them in, every little bit of them. I try to appear as upbeat as I can, but I have a little breakdown when they leave. I feel tested every time. But I wouldn't trade seeing them for anything, however painful it is to say good-bye. They will come back tomorrow, so I have that to look forward to as well. Finn is pretty funny--he doesn't want to gown up when he comes in my room "I don't want to be a doctor!" he says, fighting the blue plastic tarp and gloves. Luckily one of the nurses found a pediatric
gown that he likes much better. Stubborn little man he is!

My parents stayed with me to relieve Roger. It was nice to have their company,and my Dad came with me to have the wound vac installed, which I was very nervous about. It was very sweet because my Dad behaved very much the same as Roger does as my caretaker, holding my hand, anticipating my needs. I am so grateful he was there for me, and that Roger could have his day with the boys.

So,the wound vac went on successfully, although it has been painful all day, so that's a bummer. The surgeon who put it on gave me a little pep-talk about my desire to go home. She said i need to be really patient,that it's better for me to get wound care here rather than rush home, have it done wrong, and end up right back here. I understand what she is saying, but it's very hard for me to make peace with that.

So, for now, i just wait, go through the motions and hope that each day, each wound care brings me closer to going home and reuniting with my family. Any words of wisdom and encouragement are very much appreciated, my friends. Seriously. Night night to all of you.

5 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you , Marlis. I am so sorry you are going through all of this! Being away from your little ones is the worst...but healing and strength are far better in the long run!

    We can't wait to see you guys at Alex and Malorie's wedding this summer. We are hoping to stay in the area for the night, but that is a really busy time of the year for us....we farm hay. Hopefully, though, we can come for a night and visit with everyone:).

    You are in our prayers! Hang in there!

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my thoughts every day Marlis. I send my strongest shots of strength and hope out to you each time. It is so clear from your writing how surrounded by love you are from your wonderful family and friends - their prayers and thoughts put a bubble of care around you. Ada, Finn and Gunnar will know their mama is capable of doing anything she must to get home to them, and that Roger is a rock of love.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marlis,
    I had no idea this was happening to you. I can't imagine being away from your family but how brave you are!!
    You have so much love and support from your family and friends, that is so important. I am so thankful you have each and every one of them.
    May God himself wrap His healing arms around you, He is the great Physician and healer.
    You will be in my thoughts & prayers.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Brave Lady,
    So happy your boys were/are there! Your kids will only be stronger through all this. You and Roger are rocks. Your kiddos will be more than fine! And they love their Mama and would not trade seeing you, even if you're feeling down, and they have to don scrubs for the occasion, for anything in the world! I love that Finn!
    Prayed so long and hard for you last night.
    So sorry the Wound Vac is hurting you. I hope it is better today. I wish I could take some of that pain from you. It is so not fair for you to have handle it all on your own.
    Oh how I hope the pain is less!!! And the meds are helping more.
    Love from all of us in Bellingham, Grant Arlo Christian and holly

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I love you Marlis, I miss you and I hope you feel better. I hope you don't get sick ever again...ummmm...I miss you...and...I love you so much...and I hope I get to see you again and go to the candy store...I hope you get enough sleep...and I hope you sleep all night long...and I hope you alwasys....ummmm....only can start touching things since your germs are going away...I love you...and I also miss you so much....and I love playing with you and I love hugginf you...and I love playing with Gunnar and Finn and Wyatt and Marlis (when asked, is that it..."no I have more stuff to say") and I hope you come here sometime and I love playing with toys with you and I love playing ABC with you...That's it"
    Love Logan Baack
    "I don't wanna say anything...no saying things for me...WRITE THAT DOWN!"
    Love Dylan Baack

    ReplyDelete